It’s pretty common for Nice Guys and people pleasers to lose their ability to feel basic emotions, and eventually become pseudo-psychopathic. Here’s why and how it happens, and what we can do about it.
– I grew up shamed for having emotions emotions
– eg called a crybaby in school
– by 21 I felt nothing
– I developed a fear of being a psychopath
– I suppressed emotions to avoid pain and conflict
– Nice guys do what’s called “method acting”
– they become the character they’ve created
– chameleon effect – being a gas that fills the space but has no form without it
– avoidant attachment – keep everyone at arms length with nonchalance, humour, dishonesty, superficiality, hot n cold, alcohol n drugs
– key signs you’re not a psycho – anxiety; depression; care for others wellbeing; used to have emotions (eg having been a sensitive kid)
– key is to start expressing what little emotions you have; get into confrontations; tell people how much you like/dislike them
Dan’s Top Resources
The Naked Truth: Using Shameless Honesty to Enhance Your Confidence, Connections and Integrity
Get Dan Munro’s latest book to learn how to build your integrity and truly be yourself without fear.
The 3X Confidence and Authenticity Masterclass Program [Udemy course]
A complete in-depth guide on how to build your confidence by being authentic and living with integrity, following Dan Munro’s secret 3X Confidence formula.
Overcome Your Fear of Rejection… Permanently [Udemy course]
Say goodbye to fear of rejection, approach anxiety, and missing out on opportunities. This quick but thorough course will destroy your limiting beliefs around rejection.
The Legendary Life: Build the Motivation and Confidence to Create an Authentic Lifestyle [book]
Dan’s first book covers a complete blueprint for designing your life in a way that matches your core values, showing you how to overcome fear, set and achieve powerful goals, and build your confidence without needing other people to like you.
Nothing to Lose: Using Curiosity to Destroy Hesitation, Procrastination and Limiting Beliefs [book]
A philosophical examination of the confident mindset, from a scientific and practical viewpoint. This book will help you decode confidence into a set of beliefs and behaviours that you can control.